- Provide bins to collect compostable and recyclable materials at the main site and at the eight aid stations, and encourage runners to use them correctly.
- Prohibit runners from throwing garbage on the ground during the run or penalization, i.e. disqualification, will result.
- Give remaining food to a local organization (the Service alimentaire et aide budgétaire de Charlevoix-Est) to redistribute to people in need.
REDUCING THE EVENT’S FOOTPRINT
- Give out “virtual” swag bags. Instead of receiving printed materials, runners will be able to download partner promotions and ads on the web.
- Make event medals out of biodegradable Quebec-sourced wood.
- Limit the distribution of promotional items, especially those that don’t last long or that have limited value.
- Only sell T-shirts to people who want them.
- Cut down on printed materials. Most communication is done on the web through the digital newsletter, social media, the website, etc.
- Borrow or rent materials from other organizations rather than buying them or having them custom-made for us. Likewise, we will lend out our materials and share our expertise with other organizations.
- No longer hand out drinking cups on the races. Runners must have their own reusable cups/bottles.
- Offer runners low-flow showers with biodegradable soap in a specific tent. All grey water will be drained effectively.
- Use reusable containers to deliver water to the aid stations. The 20-liter tanks are on loan from another organization.
- When possible, car travel will be reduced for the working team, and Communauto services will be promoted.
EDUCATION, INFORMATION AND TRAINING
- Through our communications, educate and inform runners and partners of the importance of preserving the environment and the efforts we should all make.
- Encourage ride-sharing to the event site (via newsletter, website, social media, etc.).
- Provide free registration to the young members of the Motivaction Jeunesse group and to representatives and members of other non-profits.
- Organize the sale of used sports items for the runners.
- Support charitable or social causes including the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada.
- Provide our employees paid leave to volunteer for the causes of their choice (e.g. Fondation En Cœur).
- Participate in the annual clean-up of the Traversée de Charlevoix trails.
- Highlight local products, services and companies.
- Provide a meal of organic meat and local Charlevoix products that was created by a chef from the area.
- Hold the event outside of high tourist season to encourage off-season visits to tourism attractions in the Charlevoix region.
- Highlight the Mont Grand-Fonds ski centre and bring visibility to the mountain.
ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE ETHICS
- Choose organic and certified fair-trade foods whenever possible.
- Write and implement a sustainable development policy to guide our organizational decisions.