The UTHC 80km course is the perfect starting point for athletes who aspire to one day run the 125km event. This event is held once every two years, on even years; 2016, 2018, 2020… The course used is that of the 65km event combined to part of the 28km event. It is the only race where a pacer is allowed.
UTHC is a qualifying race for the UTMB®.
- 80 km – 2,200 meters of elevation gain
- Linear Trail
- Shuttle bus leaves at 5 a.m. on Saturday morning from mont Grand-Fonds ski resort
- Race starts at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning
- Maximum race time: 16 hours
- Elite race time: 7 hours 25 minutes
- Aid stations: 8
To take part in these events, some basic materials and equipment are mandatory. However, it is important to note that the mandatory equipment is considered the absolute minimum required and that each athlete should adapt the contents of their bags to their own needs and capacities. Furthermore, the UTHC events are semi-autonomous. Semi-autonomy is defined as the capacity to be autonomous between two aid stations with respects to food, water, equipment and security. You should be able to adapt to any situation you could face between two aid stations, with the equipment you carry with you.
- Minimum of 1 litre water supply
- Food supply
- Survival blanket, with minimum dimensions of 1,40m x 2m
- Jacket with hood that can support bad weather (80km +)
- Working headlight with a set of backup batteries (80km +)
- Gloves (80 km +)
- Glass or goblet (aid stations do not have glasses)
- Course map
- EpiPen (For severe allergic reactions)
- Bear bell
- Cell phone: Although there is no reliable service along most courses, the athlete can carry his phone with him. Text messages can be transmitted, depending on location.
- ensure your bib is worn on the front of the body and is visible at all times;
- always remain on the marked trail;
- pacers are not allowed (except for the 80km event);
- always pick up your trash and dispose of it at the appropriate areas of the aid stations;
- poles are permitted for distances of 65km and over;
- cutoff times must be respected to avoid elimination;
- mandatory equipment must be worn or carried at all times
The race will get underway at the HAUTES-GORGES-DE-LA-RIVIÈRE-MALBAIE NATIONAL PARK and end at the Mont Grand-Fonds Ski Center. The course will take you halfway through the famous trail called La Traversée de Charlevoix.
Be aware that weather is an important factor that must not be overlooked or underestimated. If it rains, the RAIN will be ICE COLD.
Seasonal temperatures: Average low 3°C; Average high 15°C
Sunrise: 5:15 a.m.
Sunset: 6:08 p.m.
Visit www.theweathernetwork.com for the weather conditions in La Malbaie
- be semi-autonomous;
- wear the appopriate clothing and equipment;
- at all times, help a runner in need;
- be a good sport.